“Let our teaching and influence fall like gentle rain, our words and actions descend like the dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender young plants.”- Deuteronomy 32:2
KDO Academy-High School Edition is a nondenominational, Christ-centered ministry to parents who wish to homeschool their high school children. The program is designed to meet the credit requirements that are needed for graduation in the state of Pennsylvania. Parents and students will know ahead of time the units the student will be studying and what curriculum and supplies need to be purchased. It will be the responsibility of the parents to provide these. The students will be graded for their work and will receive their grades in percents quarterly. The students will be involved in learning activities that encourage excitement and motivation in learning. The students will also have the opportunity to build friendships with other students their own age. KDO Academy is organized exclusively for religious, socialization, and educational purposes for the students.
Classes will meet every Friday from 8:15- 3:30pm.
You may register for one class, or as many as you like. Just be sure they are classes you are willing to commit to taking. Your participation may determine whether a class is able to continue or not. Please consider others in your decisions.
Weekly e-mails are sent to parents to keep them notified of KDO happenings. If you are not receiving these, then please notify the registrar.
Students will need to pack a lunch if they have classes over the noon hour. Keep in mind we do not have refrigeration/microwave available. Students are welcome to come early, or stay later, in order to participate in the high school lunch from 11:45-12:15. We want to help develop healthy relationships in our students.
Once a month we hold a pizza lunch, and occasionally we will sell hot dogs as a special event for our students. We have available regular pizza, and also gluten free for those with diet considerations. These will be announced in the weekly e-mails.
Mailboxes-Each family will have a “mail box” (i.e. labeled folders in file boxes.). Any correspondence/homework between teacher/student/parent will be placed in the mail boxes. This is to make communication between staff and parents much more efficient. Please be sure your box is checked and emptied EVERY week! KDO will not be responsible for papers not removed in a timely manner.
1. There will be a $35.00 non-refundable registration fee per student, per year. This fee helps to pay for our liability insurance and for supplies. (If your student is participating for only one semester, registration is $20.00.)
2. Each year there is a $35.00 cleaning fee per family regardless of schedule. You may pay this the first day of KDO-HS Edition or with registration. You may sign up to help clean or do lunch duty. It is your duty to mention your desire to be on one of these teams. (You must contact Bonnie Leair at email@example.com to be placed on the proper lists.) Once you have served, you will receive $5/time as a credit on your tuition. This is for families who would like assistance with tuition.
3. There will be a fee for each class taken each week. Payment options are:
A. Cash/Checks may be made payable to KDO Academy and paid at the front desk with treasurer.
B. You may use bill pay through your bank also. Make checks payable to KDO Academy, but mailed to 1918 Second Ave., York, PA 17402. The treasurer will then receive them.
4. Texts, lab fees, and supplies are additional. Lab fees are paid directly to the teacher, and checks made payable to them. Please do not make checks payable to KDO Academy for lab fees.
5. It is preferred that payments be made quarterly before each quarter begins. We want to make KDO Academy do-able for families, as long as you do not fall 2 weeks behind, or are in contact with treasurer about payment, you may pay as works for your family’s budget. You will receive an e-mail reminder should you fall behind. Please be sure you acknowledge the e-mail.
6. You have the month of September to decide if the class will work for your child (for full year classes, not 1/2 yr semester classes) The month will be paid, and is non-refundable. If you choose to stay with the class after Sept., you will be financially committed for the year. The commitment to the teacher and class needs to be made so that the class can move ahead in fairness to all.
7. There will be a two week grace period on late payments. If you are late in making payments, report cards will be held. You may be asked to pull your student if late payment persists.
8. If any outstanding payment is due at the end of the year, the grades will be withheld until payment is made.
9. Payment is expected regardless of attendance. Keep in mind that our teachers are paid using your tuition payment, so prompt payment is appreciated!
For snow cancellations, listen for York School of Technology on Queen St. If they cancel, we cancel. If they delay an hour or two, we meet on time, EXCEPT the first period high school classes. They will begin at 9am. If there are any other changes in schedule, notice will be posted on the website.
Should there be an emergency closing during KDO hours we ask that high school students call parents to come pick them up. If your student does not have a cell phone available, please be sure they notify a teacher.
*Students will be on time for class, and expected to participate. On the rare occasion the student arrives late for class, the student will enter the class quietly so as to minimize class disruption. The discipline policy will be enforced as the teacher sees need concerning homework as well. We need students to be ready, participate, and cooperative for the best learning scenario to take place. (Yes, it is obvious if your student is waiting until Thursday night to do homework!) Please encourage good study habits in your students.
*Students will complete and turn in homework assignments on time. If a class is missed for any reason, it is the responsibility of the student to contact the teacher to get missed assignments. The missed assignments will be due when the student returns to the following class unless other arrangements are made. Payment of tuition is expected regardless of attendance.
*Students are to remain in the designated classroom area. If a student is not in a scheduled class, they must be in the study hall provided during that time. Payment will be made with the front desk if your student uses the study hall at any time. We greatly appreciate the kindness of the church in making their facility available for use. It is very important to respect the church and the leadership by not running in or wandering in the halls, and by keeping the noise level down. Students may not sit in the parking lot unattended. They will either be in a class, study hall, or off of the KDO premises. We desire to maintain a friendly and cooperative spirit with the church leadership so that we may continue to meet there.
*Students are expected to respect other students. Part of that respect is that no public displays of affection will be tolerated. The use of foul language will also not be permitted. Discipline measures will be enforced.
*Students must be aware of the anti-bullying policy. We will not tolerate repeated bullying behaviors.
*Students must follow teacher policy concerning cell phones per each class. Students caught cheating using a cell phone will be disciplined according to the teachers discretion.
*Students MUST sign themselves in and out. KDO Academy is not responsible for students once they sign out and leave the building during class hours. Sign in/out sheets allow us to know who is in the building in case of fire, and other liability reasons. Please make sure your student understands the need for this policy.
* A permission slip must be signed by parents if they do not want their student to leave KDO Academy during class hours. It is your responsibility to get the form, and give it to the registrar. We are not responsible for students who do not have the form signed. Legally we will take this to mean that they have your permission to leave the premises.
*In the event that students will be driving themselves to class, extreme caution is to be used in the parking lot area. Please keep safety in mind as you enter and exit the parking lot area. Any damage caused by drivers will be paid for by the driver’s car insurance. It is your responsibility as the driver to handle the details.
*Please do not bring any weapon onto the KDO Academy property. This includes any sharp object that can be used to hurt another or any type of handgun. We are responsible to care for one another.
*Students are asked to use discretion in their clothing choices. Modest clothing reflecting Christ and showing respect toward other students and teachers is expected. Please refrain from wearing extremely form fitting pants or ripped up jeans that expose undergarments. We will not allow girls to wear tops with spaghetti straps, shirts off the shoulders, which will expose undergarments, or parts of the body that don’t need to be seen. Short shorts are also not permitted. Please keep skirts and shorts to around the knee. Any shoes with wheels are also not allowed to be worn to KDO Academy for safety reasons.
*Please be aware of how each teacher will be grading students. Any concerns need to be addressed with the teacher first. Please make the teacher aware of any educational concerns you may have about your student as well. Student will be given a percentage grade at the end of each quarter, and one at the end of the year. It is up to the parent to determine the letter grade for that percentage.
*Teachers are available during the week to help with class assignments. We request that you respect the teachers time. Teachers will notify students as to how they prefer to handle this, and we ask that you stick to those guidelines. If a student requires more than a short phone call or e-mail to handle a question, then please respect the teacher by setting up a tutoring time and making payment as set up by the teacher. We are blessed by our staff, and we want to safeguard their time.
*Study hall students may converse quietly in study hall. The students must respect the monitor. Students must keep in mind that there are those studying! You may bring ipods/MP3 players, but there will be NO sharing of ear buds.
*Students may bring cell phones to KDO Academy. They may use them during study hall to text only. We have had students texting answers to others, the discipline will be determined by the teacher.
*Students and parents agree to have a cooperative spirit. If you have a concern or problem within a classroom, please address the issue in a timely and respectful manner. Any classroom concern must be addressed with the teacher first. If you feel like your concerns have not been met, then PLEASE contact a board member. For any policy concerns, you may contact any board member. Remember, if we are not aware of the problem, we can not fix it.
High School: 1st offense: Speak to the student
2nd & 3rd offense: An e-mail/notice will be sent to the parent notifying them of the behavior.
4th offense: Teacher will speak with parent. Board member s will be aware of issue. Student will be suspended from the program for the day.
Payment will be made regardless of attendance. If issue cannot be resolved, then student will be dropped from the program.
KDO Academy Board
Bonnie Leair 854-9922 (Board Director)
Rudi Metzler 741-5660 (HS Coordinator)
Laura Page 683-6975 (Elementary Liaison)
Barb Newlin 292-7092 (Asst. HS Coord.)
Donielle Mann 266-9878 (Secretary)
Please see below if you are in agreement…